Friday, September 01, 2006

Big Brother's Watching You...

So I have been slightly caught up in this “reality TV” craze. I will admit it. It makes it really hard to watch “real” shows with silly things like “plots” and “characters.” And it really makes it hard to wake up in the morning when you have to watch hours of tapes at night before you go to bed because the live results show is in two days and you have to know what’s going on before you watch it.

And I don’t know what I’m going to do this fall TV season when the new “real” shows come on in addition to new reality shows. I only have two TVs and two VCRs. Let’s just set the hypothetical that I do happen to be home during the “good shows” on one crazy night (which probably won’t happen too much this fall due to work, social and volunteer stuff)...I can watch one station while taping two others. But what if FOX, NBC, ABC and CBS all have something on at the same time that I want to watch??? Then I’m screwed. And I don’t know what’s going on the next week in that show when I do have the chance to watch the show I missed because there are specials or bowling tournaments being shown on other stations. If the norm happens and I’m not home and have to rely solely on my tapes...I will only watch two shows. Sad.

Here’s a specific note about one very funny thing I have noticed on Big Brother. Every time someone wants to talk strategy or talk about someone behind their back, the instigator of the conversation goes up to someone and says something like “Hey, you have a minute?” or “Hey, you have time to talk?” or “Hey, are you busy?” or “Hey, can I tell you something quickly?”

This is what I find funny about it...(well, besides the fact that everyone on that show really does start questions and statements with “hey" - it’s similar to a valley girl’s “like...” If fact, I have decided that starting a sentence with “hey” is the new-age “like...”) OF COURSE THEY HAVE TIME TO TALK TO YOU. This person is stuck in a house with you and can’t talk to anyone else. They don’t have TV. They don’t have internet access. They don’t have a roller coaster. Their only other entertainment is cooking a meal (which can honestly only be done so many times a day), sleeping, or working out. So I find that question incredibly funny.

The other night Neil Patrick Harris, who is incredibly funny on TV and in movies, was on the show. One of the players is understandably obsessed with him. He’s not really cute or anything...not really even in that geeky cute way. But he has played some really funny roles. And although I think that “How I Met Your Mother” is hilarious, I still stand by my belief that they should do a show called “Douglas Howser, M.D.” that chronicles the famous TV doctor’s life when he’s grown up and fits in like a normal person and gets no attention. I think THAT would be hilarious.

And then this would be the point where the credits would role and you would see the preview of next week’s show as I finished typing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home