Monday, December 19, 2005

What to think?

Jaime Foxx has a record out. Well, it comes out in a day or two. But I'm not quite sure what to think about that. He just performed on the Today show...and it's just weird.

He's a good singer...I'll give him that. But does playing the role of Ray Charles, one of the greatest of all times, in a movie qualify him to record an album a few months later? I don't really want to see Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon releasing records in late 2006...although they both did a great job portraying Johnny Cash and June Carter in "Walk the Line," and doing their own singing.

Watching Jaime Foxx sing on TV was like watching an actor playing a singer playing an actor. Pre-performance interviews with singers are normally awkward and weird...most are more at ease singing than being interviewed live. But Foxx is obviously comfortable in that situation from his "other life." And the whole time he was singing I couldn't stop picturing him arguing with Tom Cruise in a cab.

Maybe that's just me. But it's easier to accept a singer switching to acting than an actor switching to singing. The same goes for Lindsay Lohan (although that opinion is further validated by the fact that she sucks) and all of the others that do it. Except for J Lo, cause she was technically a singer before an actress...they picked her for "Selena" because she was a singer. Wow, that was forever ago.

Jaime Foxx is a good singer...so don't jump all over me on that...but it's just weird to see live. I guess I don't think about it too much when I just hear him singing in the background or on other people's songs. I guess he is a classically trained pianist, so there is some validation. It's just so weird to actually watch Jaime Foxx sing as himself...not as an actor playing someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home