Sunday, December 18, 2005

These are a few of my favorite things...

(An overplayed "holiday" song - still not sure why that's considered a "holiday" song)

I've been busy, so I haven't had the energy to post in a while. Hope everyone hasn't given up on me! Read me. Read me. Read me.

* As you all (4 of you, counting my 3 family members) know, I love Super Target. I can buy eggs, shampoo, socks, chicken, grapes, candles, windshield washer fluid, DVDs, board games, magazines, ice cream, pencils and a shower curtain all in one trip. Even better, the cashier bags my eggs, shampoo, socks, chicken, grapes, candles, windshield washer fluid, DVDs, board games, magazines, ice cream, pencils and shower curtain for me. IN ONE BAG. Yes. The eggs and windshield washer fluid and grapes and shampoo and the rest all go into one bag. There is obviously a part of cashier training that is either A) forgotten (how to bag stuff properly) or B) overemphasized (save bags, use only one unless the customer begs you for two). So whether you buy 1 item or 187 items, you get one bag. I'm all about being environmentally friendly and cost-effective...however I really don't want to catch salmonella from my grapes because they are sharing juices with the chicken, and it drives me nuts when my ice cream sweats on my magazines and runs the letters together. Nor is it great when the windshield washer fluid smashes the eggs.

* Someone built a snowman in the little courtyard outside of our apartment building. It has sticks for arms, a drawn-on smile and pine cones for eyes. It's not very traditional looking other than those details (yes I know Frosty had other natural elements for facial features, but this isn't Frosty). They just piled snow up into a sorta cone shape...no rolling of giant snow balls for this apartment building. The end result is that it actually looks like a giant albino turd standing on end. That thought makes me smile even more than the site of the happy snowman.

* I'm thrilled that, between the time we got the first inch of snow just before Thanksgiving until May when the temp rises about freezing, the roads and sidewalks are extremely trecherous. The snow and ice never leave. And everyone stops salting and sanding after the first day of snow - so the ice never melts and there's never anything to add traction. So you walk at your own risk. However, you do get a little more muscle tone from being constantly tense while trying to walk to your car.

* There is one great part about winter - if you have a "doggie bag" from a restaurant, you can just put it in your car and it freezes almost instantly. Therefore you can continue on with your day (movies, shopping, work, transmission rebuilding) without fear of your food spoiling.

* Walk the Line may be one of the best movies I have ever seen.

* I absolutely love candy cane ice cream. And it's only available during this time of year. Except for at one ice cream store in Sarasota, FL. But every year I eat a bunch of gallons of this stuff during November and December. And then the rest of the year when someone asks me what my favorite flavor of ice cream is, I completely forget about my holiday obsession. And I give some lame answer like "mint chocolate chip" or "Breyers fudge vanilla swirl." (I really do love that Breyer's fudge vanilla swirl.) I don't know why, but I completely forget about candy cane ice cream. Until November when it reappears on freezer shelves with the special "Holiday Edition" green or red bow graphic on the front. So it doesn't get its deserved recognition during the other 10 months. Why can't it be available all year? "Peeps" aren't just for Easter anymore (look at the packaging, they come out at Halloween, Easter, Christmas, Valentines Day)...so why not candy cane ice cream? My New Year's resolution is to keep candy cane ice cream at the top of my favorite ice cream flavor list all year long. That sounds like a more reasonable resolution than most people make!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home