Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Blue is Back!

In honor of the Democrats regaining control of the House last night, and hopefully soon the Senate...today's post will be done in the color BLUE!

With the exception of the gubernatorial races in Minnesota and Florida going the wrong way, I'm pretty happy over all. And I firmly believe that if Mike Hatch's running mate, Judi Dutcher, hadn't flubbed a big question...in NOT KNOWING what E85 is in MINNESOTA...then Pawlenty would be gone. But try to explain to a bunch of people in rural Minnesota why the Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor in the state of Minnesota doesn't know what E85 is. Minnesota is one of the biggest states in both E85 production and consumption... And this happened the week before the election. However, in an out-of-state note, John Hall won his bid for Congress in NY! Wahoo!

Last night I went out with some friends to watch the election returns at a bar. On my way I noticed something curious. On Sunday, the price of a gallon of gas was down to about $2.09. It stayed between $2.12 and $2.15 until just before the polls closed last night...which is the time I left my apartment to go to the bar...and it jumped up to $2.29!! WHAT? Now I'm not really what you would call a fan of conspiracy theories...but GIVE ME A BREAK.

So all 5 of us gathering at this little bar are definitely what one would consider to be "liberal" - as were the girls at the table next to us. As we chatted about various things, such as profit vs. non-profit colleges (we're all in education in some way, shape or form - which may make us intrinsically boring to others at times yet highly entertaining to ourselves) and abortion and gay rights and whatever other political point we decided to ponder over beers, we watched the results scroll across the bottom of CNN and FOX. Yeah, FOX. But as one person pointed out...they were easy to read.

I have to say, it was the first time in what seems like many, many, many elections that I did not finish watching returns and feel depressed! For the first time in a while the candidates outlined in blue were getting the little check marks next to their names! I didn't feel despair and the need to move to Canada any more! Well, some of that still lingers...but it's just lingering rather than sitting at the surface. So I guess that's good.

My one concern...did the Democrats begin to retake power too soon...what will happen in two years in the presidential election?? Oh, too much time to wait and wonder and worry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home