Monday, September 04, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things...

Ahhh. The Minnesota State Fair comes to a close tonight. Here are a few highlights:

* I saw this guy:

He, too, was watching a band play. I took that pic with my cell phone...in case you can't see through the blur, he had non-white Santa beard on both the front and back of his head. A Northstars jersey (going to the fair old-school), camo cargo shorts and combat boots with black socks. And a bandana. And he was swaying to the music. He was really cool.

* I saw a cop (yes, real SPPD) directing foot and vehicle traffic on Como Ave. while eating an ice cream sundae in the middle of the street. Hot fudge and all. Holding a lighted baton. What a great job.

* I had pink grapefruit gelato. Yum.

* Did you know that you can enter a push lawn mower at the 4-H building for a prize? I'm not sure what you have to do to it to enter it, but you can enter your home improvement appliances at the 4-H building.

* I also learned at the 4-H building how to dye baby chicks before they hatch so that they are Easter egg colors. My friend found that disturbing. I found it to be kinda cool.

* The art in the Fine Arts building was rather uninspiring. Except for the collage that had a T Rex in the back of a blue pick-up truck. That was pretty neat. Too bad that doesn't happen in real life. I also liked the fact that the NBA Jams set-up was right outside a door of the Fine Arts building, so while everyone was trying to be all quiet and respectful walking around the exhibit, you had hip hop blaring in from outside.

* The gondalas have lights on them at night now...like Christmas trees! So does the back of the Giant Slide. That's kinda cool.

* Apparently you can purchase a fully mounted tire at the fair. I saw a guy trying to figure out how to roll it back down the foot bridge ramp without losing control and killing incoming fair-goers. It was kinda amusing.

* Cheese curds, Australian battered potatoes, cheese bread, roasted almonds, pizza, cheese on a stick, Pronto pups, regular corn dogs, etc...still excellent the 3rd year in a row.

* I think that the giant pig is smaller than last year. Although I really have no proof.

* I love the fact that everyone gives you directions at the fair by using street names like it's a little town.

* The Midway still doesn't have the game where you throw ping pong balls into goldfish bowls to win goldfish. That still upsets me. It's my favorite fair game of all time. Once I got to trade in 6 goldfish for an iguana. I named him Jacques. After Jacques Villenueve...the race car driver...because he was fast.

* I was stalked at the fair on Saturday. By someone I didn't even "know." Nice.

* I can't wait for next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home