Monday, March 06, 2006

In Minnesota: Puckett bigger than Pope

Before you jump on me for this post...I have the utmost respect for Kirby Puckett as a baseball player - he was phenomenal. I don't think that he was 100% the wonderful person everyone is making him out to be...but is anyone? I can let that slide. So this post is not in any disrespect or whatever.

But SERIOUSLY. For those of you that live under a rock, don't have access to the outside world, or don't live in Minnesota...Twins great Kirby Puckett had a stroke yesterday. I don't really think I'm exaggerating when I say that his illness, recovery, surgery, etc is more heavily covered than Pope Watch 2005. The local news stations have even sent teams of reporters, etc to Arizona to cover this.

Minnesotans hold on to their sports heros with an extremely tight grip. I don't know if it's admirable, or just weird. But I guess since there really aren't that many great Minnesota-connected athletes to celebrate, they take what they can get and never let go. I grew up in NY - with more sports greats in one year than this city has had in a lifetime of big-league teams. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home