Thursday, September 21, 2006

Here fishy,fishy, fishy...

This is an actual email that I received from a friend today, word for word, no editing ...did I tell you earlier that today was going to be a good day or what???

On Tuesday I bought a fish. He was blue, shiny, and had amazing fins. I got the notion in my head after visiting a friend who had one, and claimed taking care of it was a breeze. So on Monday I bought a glass vase, some pretty glass pebbles (clear and aqua), and filled it up with water. I put the chemical in it that makes the fish's fins stronger and healthier. And on Tuesday I bought a fish.

I brought him home. I put him in his new home (much nicer than the tiny, plastic tupperware thing that the chain pet store had him in). I fed him some pellets. I even settled on a name, Bluey. I went to bed proud of myself: I created a home and an entire ecosystem, and had total reign over it. On Wednesday morning Bluey was fine.

When I got home from work on Wednesday, Bluey was, well, not fine. Not dead. But seemingly passed out drunk at the bottom of the bowl. Glass pebbles can't be a comfortable place to rest, even if you're a fish. When I moved the bowl, he'd eventually swim to the top. But he immediately swam (sank...) back to the bottom. Sometimes he'd lie on the bottom. Othertimes he'd have his head pointed down, and his fin pointed towards to the top of the bowl. Not healthy fish behavior. Sigh. Bluey was broken. My experiment in playing God was quickly failing.

I took Bluey back to the store. They said my water tested normal. They put Bluey in his own little tank, and gave me a voucher for a new fish (I've successfully convinced myself that they didn't flush him the second my back was turned). I picked out a new fish: shimmery and red. Even more amazing fins than Bluey. The fins look like a giant draq-queen-esque costume. I replaced the Bluey-tainted water with fresh spring water, and now my new fish has a great new home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home