Sunday, November 06, 2005

Continuation of Rude People Rant...

I meant to write about this last night. But quite frankly, I forgot to.

Yesterday, I was setting up the small merchandise table at a local college football game (I help two of my friends sell t-shirts/sweatshirts/etc at these games, and they do it as a favor to their friend...it's a lot of fun, we have a good time - people watching is hilarious!). I arrive and the boxes of stuff are under the two tables. It's about an hour before the game is scheduled to start, and our tables are set up in the entrance-way where the little concessions/table area is. It's actually like a "common area" at the school, so it has a very lounge-like feel to it. I pull out the first box and take out 1 sweatshirt and put it on the table, then reach in to pull out the 2nd sweatshirt, etc. I have barely put the first sweatshirt down on the table when the woman who was sitting at the round table nearest our set-up jumps out of her seat and says, "Oh, you have sweatshirts!?" I was like yeah, and continued to pull stuff out of the boxes because it was pretty obvious that I was just getting started setting up. Or so I thought! Wow, I must have been mistaken.

By the time I have pulled the 3rd sweatshirt out of the box (you know, different sizes, all of the same style of sweatshirt, it's really an amazing concept) about 3.5 seconds later, this same woman says to me, "Is that all you have??" I resisted the urge to tell her to sit down and shut up for 5 minutes so I could pull the stuff out of the box, and instead "Nice The Steph" prevailed and I said, "No, we have a couple of other things. Let me pull them out for you." Then after each of the remaining 3-4 different items was pulled out she asked me 47 questions about it. I was sooo temped to just say "CHILL OUT." Gosh it's good that I'm such a freaking nice person. Then she decided she wanted to buy something but didn't have exact change, but since I had literally just arrived and hadn't seen the AD yet, I didn't have the cash box yet. Urgh. Fortunately it arrived about 37 seconds later. I don't know what I would have done with that lady if it hadn't arrived so soon.

Oh, and this same lady wanted to buy our $5 close-out t-shirts for no more than $2.50. The AD is a VERY nice guy and sold it to her for $3. I would have charged her $10 for it at that point. If she could afford tuitition at that school for her kid, she could afford the $5 shirt!

It was amazing how the instant I started to pull out that first sweatshirt this lady developed the need to buy something before the second hand on Mickey got all the way around again. Is it really that pressing to buy a $15 long-sleeve t-shirt from a small college athletics program with an hour to go before kick-off that the salesperson is tempted to find an armed guard to fend you off?

Oh, and then that started this deal on the T-shirts. $5 each, or if you buy anything else then it was $3 per shirt. Well, one guy seemed to think that if he just bought two of those shirts then he could get them for $3 each cause he was buying two things. I tried to tell him, no, $5 for the first and $3 for the second. But it was just too exhausting to argue over $2 and I just gave him the two shirts for $6. People are nuts.

Alright, I'm going to watch the live episode of West Wing and cry when they try to ruin one of my favorite prime time shows by doing a live episodes. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to meet the idiot at NBC that decided to start doing live episodes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home