Sunday, October 23, 2005

Recipes Built for One

I like to cook dinner when I have time and am at home. Not just reheating leftovers from a restaurant, heating up TV dinners or warming up a can of soup. I like to make meals from scratch. But I live by myself and I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to find a recipe that doesn't leave me with 47 meals worth of leftovers.

Have you ever noticed that all cookbooks are for meals that serve 4-6 people? Where are the cookbooks or recipes that serve just 1-2 people? I love leftovers...don't get me wrong. But only for 1 or 2 meals. I don't want to be eating some ham casserole for breakfast, lunch and dinner for an entire week just so I don't feel bad wasting the food.

I know I could just halve a recipe sometimes...but it never comes out quite the same. Plus you usually have to buy a whole of whatever it is in the recipe in order to do that. So you wind up wasting the rest of it anyway if you don't put it in the recipe...which brings you back to your original problem because the recipe just grew.

And while I'm on the topic, while one of you out there is writing the cookbook for single people called "Meals for Me" (see I gave you a title...now run with it), keep something important in mind. Us single people probably don't have all of the weird and strange exotic ingredients sitting around our house that people think that families of 4 have, just ready to stick in their monstrous meals. Remember this hint that my tennis instructor used to say: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

On a different, completely unrelated note - why the heck is Scooter STILL trying to teach me about a curve ball?? Didn't Fox read my first blog about this?

1 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Orbitron19 said...

While you're at it, how about not gouging single people for more taxes or making us work longer hours because we decided not to have kids?
I think that if single people organized, we could be a force to be reckoned with. (Until I get married.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home