Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Playing the Association Game

Have you ever noticed how everyone knows exactly 1 thing about everything? And I'm just as guilty of this trait as everyone who is reading this posting. You know what I mean. When you meet a new person for the first time, and they say "Oh, I'm from XYZLand" or "I work for ABC Industries," you have that one default comment to make about that job or location. Here are some examples from my travels:

1. I say: "I grew up in NY."
New person says: "Oh, the city!! That's so cool."
I say: "No, north of there."
NP says: "Oh! I wouldn't want to live in the city anyway."

2. I say: "I lived in Florida for a while."
NP says: "Oh, did the hurricane affect you??"
I think: "Ummmm...which hurricane, where and, no, cause I currently live in Minnesota and there are no hurricanes here!"
I say: "No, we were lucky."

3. I say: "I moved here from Texas."
NP says: "Is everything really bigger in Texas??"
I think: "That's really personal to ask someone you just met, isn't it??"
I say: Nothing, I just laugh.

4. I say: "I live in Minnesota."
Previously:
NP says: "Wow, it's cold there."
I say: "Not this week. Today's July 4th."
Now:
NP says: "Whoa, your football team is in trouble."
I say: "Yeah, sucks that Griese got hurt."

People are so predictable. I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home