Sunday, October 09, 2005

Hey, The Steph, cool train!


Soo engine on top, passenger car on bottom Posted by Picasa
My cousin just made fun of me because I had to jump up and open my blinds in my apartment to look at a train that was going by - just because I recognized the train whistle. Here's something you have to understand though...they don't use these really cool passenger trains all the time here! At least not running on the tracks near my apartment. They have some old diesel and steam engines that they run for tourist trips to see the fall folliage or when they have historic events, such as last summer's Mississippi boat event with all of the steam and paddle boats - the Excursion I believe it was called. The one pictured here is a diesel engine...I can't find a picture of the steam engine I want to show.

The trains above are examples of some of the cool engines and cars that are used on these trips - but I just can't find a picture of the engine that I really want to show.

Last summer, a couple of these trains went by on the tracks behind our stadium (the set of tracks that runs by my apartment) and a co-worker called it "The Coolest Train Ever." And he was right...big puffy steam smoke, smelly train, and very, very noisy!! Plus it had cool passenger cars. Normally we are just fascinated with the engines, but these old trains' cars are colorful and fun.

Which got me to thinking as I was looking for pictures of my favorite engines...whatever happened to cabooses? I used to love them...they were my favorite part of the train...mostly because there was one just parked at the entrance to a tennis club I used to play at in Rhinebeck, NY. (It has since been removed I discovered when I was back in NY earlier this year...that was a sad discovery.) But trains don't have cabooses anymore...and they were cool, too. That's a sad progression in the history of trains.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home