Monday, October 03, 2005

Moving over here...

I'm moving my blog here, from myspace.com. So here is a run-down of my archive from there (it's not long). Then I'll start anew on my next post for today/tonight. Sorry the format for reading my little archive really sucks here...but if you already read it on my other blog, don't bother here!! Thanks for reading!


Sunday, October 02, 2005
What would you do... Current mood: calm

A good friend of mine recently took a job in marketing with an MLB team (that needs a lot of help with marketing -and he's just the guy to do it, they also need a lot of help with wins - don't think he's the guy to do that)...and he's been conducting a straw poll of his blog readers, so I'm moving it over here to get your responses to help him out, too! So all 4 of you (including my family) that read this, answer for him!

1) What was the coolest souvenir you got at a sporting event?
2) Why do you root for the teams that you do?
3) If you had an empty ballpark at your disposal what would you do with it?

My answers:
1) What was the coolest souvenir you got at a sporting event?
That would definitely be an uncut card set from the Kannapolis Intimidators. I love uncut card sets and they are great for display. They are great conversation starters, too.

2) Why do you root for the teams that you do?
Have you ever been to Yankee Stadium? That place is awesome! But more seriously - all of the teams I root for in any sport I have lived near and for nearly all of them, been able to go to a home game. The only local teams I haven't gotten into are the ones here in Minnesota. But I have enough favorite teams in my pocket, I don't need the ones up here!! My strongest loyalties lie with the teams whom I have gotten to see play in person. In NY we were never able to go to a home Giants or Rangers game - too hard to get to, too expensive. So I'm probably a stronger fan of the Bucs and Lightning now, as much as it pains me as a native New Yorker to say. I have loved the Florida Gators since I was young (before I even moved to Florida) simply because their tennis coach taught at a tennis camp I played at in like 8th grade. The only reason. I fell in love with them instantly...cause it was one of the, if not the, top tennis programs in the country and they were in Florida! Gator fan for life.

I think the best way to get someone to be a fan of the team is to give them 1 personal connection or experience that they never forget. Like the coach at tennis camp. Or at a minor league baseball game when the kid got a ball from a player. But can you do that for 40,000 people a game at a major league stadium? I think so - but it's not easy!

3) If you had an empty ballpark at your disposal what would you do with it?
The only thing that would be natural to me...play a baseball game. Not creative...but passionate. It might be cool to have a high school prom there, if you were into that type of thing.


Friday, September 30, 2005
Stan Musial

I never realized that batting a little ball around could cause so much commotion. -Stan Musial


Thursday, September 29, 2005
Live Premiere...Bad Idea...

Ok, when the cast and crew of Will & Grace rehearsed tonight's live premiere, do you think that someone actually sat in front of a screen and watched it? Because this is playing out like a 5th grade play in the gymnasium. Even after 1.5 glasses of wine - it's not working for me. There is a reason why TV shows are filmed in advance. Because it doesn't work live.
If I was stupid enough to try to do a live premiere with one of my shows, I would do a taped version (that would be good) and if about 2.5 seconds in I realized that it SUCKED, I would switch to the taped version and LIE.
All of the characters on this show are NOT good at live stuff. Debra Messing looks incredibly uncomfortable and unnatural, and Eric McCormick looks like he is trying to hard. And Megan Mllllllahahahaha (whatever her name is) is just too much of a "laugh hog." As is the guy that plays the other gay guy...Jack.
Bad idea, all around. Go back to pre-taped shows, NOW!!!

And the shoe dropped...

I learned the truth behind the mystery earlier today, and then it was officially unveiled this afternoon...and it surprised me!! I had a whole scenario planned out in my head. With scenes, acts, sequels, everything. Of course I did it off of two facts...but my story was really good. And it got squashed. Squashed like a june bug in August. (Good saying, I just made that up.) Hmmm. Interesting.


Tuesday, September 27, 2005
ARGHHHHHH! Current mood: hyper

And to repeat the subject line...ARGHHHHHHHHH!! I hate waiting to find things out, I hate not knowing things, I hate knowing someone who knows something but won't tell me, I hate coming up with a million different scenarios as to what is going on and not knowing if any of them are correct. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!

I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight. And I have an interview in the morning. If 10:30 is still considered morning if you have been up all night!!!!!

(Hmmm...maybe people are on to something with this blogging thing. It's a good place to vent...and no one really has to know what is going on when I vent about it!! Especially since I don't know what is going on - only that something IS going on. AHHHHHH - or as I said earlier...ARGHHHHHHHH!!)

Waiting... Current mood: curious

...for the other shoe to drop. Or the next one...is this a centipede's closet?

"Train" Current mood: contemplative

For those of you not familiar with my most recent employer, the St. Paul Saints, we had (well, "have" - I just don't work there anymore) train tracks that run behind the left field wall (and technically center field and right field too, but it's closest to the left field wall and everyone says "The train is behind the left field wall.") Traditionally, when a train is approaching or passing, the PA announcer just says "Train." Nothing fancy, just stating the obvious, but a funny little quirk at Saints games.

When I worked in Texas, we had trains everywhere. I think we figured out that there's not a town in Texas that doesn't have a track. However, I don't remember them being cool. I remember being irritated when they crossed my path and I had to wait, because unlike here, you couldn't get around them. Here there are alternate routes that can usually (and in a timely manner because most of our trains are LONG) get you around the obstacle. Sometimes I just sit at the railroad crossing and watch the train, though. There's something peaceful about sitting in your car and knowing that every other person sitting there stuck with you is fuming as the train slows down, leaving the last car stopped in the middle of your lane. And knowing that they don't care that some graffiti artist spent a lot of time putting the same signature on every freaking car on the train. And then getting even more angry as the train slowly moves backwards for 5 minutes because it has to get into position to switch tracks - and then finally moves forward again and leaves.

Anyway, here, from day 1, and despite the fact that I have lived here for two years, I still look to see what engine is pulling (or pushing) the train that is approaching. I live almost right on train tracks and can see the trains...when the leaves fall off the trees. (Not as close as the midget in "Station Agent" lived, but close enough. Great movie, by the way. I need to add it to my movies list on my profile page.) Fortunately for my viewing pleasure, that will happen in a day or two and will last until MAY when the trees finally thaw out. But I was just realizing how pathetic that is because I heard a train outside my apartment and I looked to see the train, and was upset that the leaves were still on the trees. I found myself wishing that they would fall off so that I could see the engine. Sad. So sad.

But while I'm on the subject...everyone here has a favorite engine. Mine happens to be the blue & yellow Santa Fe engine. Santa Fe engines come in other colors. But they are insignificant to me. I don't care for BNSF engines or any other kind. My favorite is the yellow & blue Santa Fe engine. But I think that if you ask anyone that has spent a significant amount of time at Midway about their favorite engine, they would be able to name it!

I suppose it is the silly little things that bring us pleasure...even seeing our favorite train engine barreling by our apartments.


Monday, September 26, 2005
"Fall" in Minnesota

Ok, for those of you who have never been to Minnesota in a month other than July...don't bother. So Fall officially started a few days ago here. There was even a countdown to the actual minute that it began. Which was pointless, because the temperature had already dropped into the 60s and the leaves had started changing days before!!! I think that the start of the seasons should correspond with the actual weather in the state in question. For example, if I were to set it up in Minnesota...this is what it would look like:

Spring: May 28-July 4
Summer: July 5-August 28
Fall: August 29 - October 1
Winter: October 2 - May 27

I'm pretty sure that is what it actually is, anyway. I don't know if there are any Minnesotans that would argue with that. They love their ice fishing, anyway. This season schedule gives them an excuse to put up their ice castles (have you seen these things?? "Ice House" my butt...they are nicer than most people's primary homes!) a little earlier and leave them up a little later. The lakes are frozen that long, anyway!


Sunday, September 25, 2005
And the start... Current mood: chipper

So this blogging thing is supposedly really cool and fashionable. I have to admit, I log on every morning to read the blogs of a couple of my friends...it's amusing. And gives me one more thing to make fun of them for! This is my first attempt, and will probably be really lame. I will probably include hilarious (possibly only to me) observations on life...like this for example:

Why is it that at a sporting event, when the video board reads "Make some noise!" the fans in attendance read that to mean "Stand up in the way of the people sitting behind you that are smart enough to just clap and not stand up at the same time." Don't these people realize that standing up is a very quiet action and doesn't really obey the video board?

Alright, enough for now...for those of you not scared off yet, check back in later for more astute observations! L8r.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home