Friday, May 18, 2007

Jackie Robinson Day Color Confusion

I've been neglecting my blog. Seriously. But I've been busy...really, honestly, I have. And I haven't had a ton of creative/exciting stuff happen that I can write about. But I'm back. I think.

There has been 1 thing over the past 3 months that I have really wanted to take the time to sit down and write about - but I just haven't put the energy into it. But now I finally will!

Sunday, April 15th was Jackie Robinson Day in Major League Baseball. For everyone who lives under a rock or claims ignorance about who Jackie Robinson is/was...look it up yourself...at Jackie's HOF page. I happened to go to the Twins game that day, and was absolutely astonished and amazed by what I saw...in a bad way. I thought at first I was overreacting, until I talked to a bunch of other people that had been there, had been to a baseball game once in their lives or had heard the name Jackie Robinson before...and I realized that my thoughts were right in line with everyone else.

It was the whitest celebration of breaking the color barrier in baseball that I have ever seen. It was a little embarrassing and shocking. And it lacked being a true tribute to a man who helped open so many doors.

Here's a run-down of what I saw:

* Tori Hunter shaking the hands of a line-up of white people (there may have been 1 black person in the line)...but with no real understandable explanation (the acoustics stink in the Dome and sometimes I have no idea what's going on on the field). The only connection I saw was Hunter was wearing #42 - Robinson's number.

* Joe Mauer (he's a white catcher) receiving his batting title recognition. (Yes - before everyone jumps on me, I know it was award weekend, or whatever...but seriously - at least recognize someone the played the same position if you don't have any black players to honor.)

* Joe Mauer (he's still white) baseball cards handed out at the gate.

* Recognition for Joe Mauer (did I mention he's white) and Justin Morneau (also white) being honored for their Silver Slugger awards from the previous season.

* A bunch of white middle school kids (BADLY) singing the National Anthem.

* 1 mid-game video tribute to Larry Doby (first black player in the American League).

* MLB-produced Jackie Robinson booklets passed out at the gate.

I'm sorry, but someone really missed a great opportunity for an amazing educational experience and tribute. I remember the year that MLB retired Jackie Robinson's number...it was in celebration of the 50th anniversary of his debut, and it was emotional and amazing then. And could still be. Honestly, the Twins had 60 years to plan for this tribute day, if you think about it sarcastically. The date of Jackie Robinson's MLB debut is still, and will always be, April 15, 1947 - so hopefully a little more thought is put into this celebration for the 61st anniversary in about 11 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home