Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Coffee Crazies

Some of you may be surprised to find out that my wonderful energy and hyper, loving nature is not always 100% naturally produced. At times, my normal physiological supremecy is supplemented by caffeine in the form of coffee. I know, hard to believe. Consider this to be my confession. Much like how a cold, fresh microbrew on an outdoor patio at a local bar is a great way to end a day of work, a hot (or cold, sometimes, during the summer) fresh cup of coffee is a wonderful way to begin said day.

I'm currently house-sitting for a friend, but I had to run by my apartment today to get clothes for work, on my way to work, because I realized I had no work clothes with me! So this morning I stopped by my apartment, and then realized, I needed a coffee. On most days I drive an extra .23 miles past my office to Ginkgo, a little coffee house that is locally owned, has a lot of fair trade and organic stuff. The coffee is way better than any of the massive chains, and about 1/3 the price. It's great. And it's a happy place...I normally run into someone I know there, and everyone is pretty chipper.

But there is another local coffeeshop that I absolutely adore, but it's just a little bit out of my way. (More on that in a paragraph.) It's called Brewberry's, and I don't think it has a website - at least not one that I can find. And it's located directly across the street from a Caribou Coffee. Now, I have nothing against Caribou. I actually like it. And this particular Caribou is really close to where I go to college hockey games, so I typically stop there on the way to games. Of course part of that has always been because Brewberry's isn't open at night. (Or I should say, wasn't. It now stays open til 9 on Fridays and Saturdays - so this coming winter, I can get Brewberry's on my way to games!) Anyway, back on topic, I have decided that Brewberry's may have the best coffee in the Twin Cities.

As I am driving to Brewberry's this morning, I was thinking, "Gosh, I must really want this coffee. By now I could have gone to Ginkgo, bought my coffee, added my cream and sugar, and been back in the parking lot of my office. Instead, I haven't even made it to the coffee shop yet." Now granted, Brewberry's is way out of my way and in the opposite direction of work. Exactly how far out of the way you ask? Funny you should ask...I figured it out for you!

Some basic calculations...thanks to the help of Mapquest...
My house to work: 1.95 miles
My house to Brewberry's: 3.81 miles
Brewberry's to work: 3.31 miles
Ginkgo to work: .23 miles

Difference between going to Brewberry's and Ginkgo: 3.08 miles

Satisfaction in getting that perfect cup of coffee: Priceless!

Granted, I also pay 25 more cents for a Brewberry's large coffee - $1.65 vs. $1.90 (gulp!). But it's worth it.

Oh, and then to top it off, I get to Brewberry's, and I realize that I have left my cash, driver's license and ATM card in the pocket of the jeans I was wearing last night. So I had to pay with the quarters thrown into the bottom of my purse, it was rather comical. (That's where my loose change goes to die, Boof.)

I bet The Dad could calculate for me, based on the above coffee prices and distances, figuring about 18-19 miles per gallon city driving in my truck, and with my last fill-up at $3.19 per gallon of gas, how much extra I paid this morning for a Brewberry's coffee instead of a Ginkgo coffee. Or if any of the other 3 readers of this blog are so mathmatically gifted to figure it out, let me know the damage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home