Thursday, May 24, 2007

American Idol Recap

Well, as I said yesterday, American Idol came to a close last night (that means the "So You Think You Can Dance?" starts TONIGHT! And to think I almost lost my brain for a second and thought about buying tickets to see Pirates III for opening night instead of watching the first episode of "Dance." Obviously, I hadn't had my coffee yet this morning. Pirates III will have to wait for this rainy Memorial Day weekend to come).
And the winner is Jordin Sparks! Big deal. She doesn't excite me. My take - she has annoying facial expressions, does the annoying numbers thing for encouraging people to vote for her WAY too much, wears curtains for dresses for some reason (thanks, EA, for pointing out what it was that she has been wearing this season), and would be better off as a Broadway or musical singer. A friend thinks she would be better as an animated movie song singer. I don't think that's a compliment...

But anyway, now that the cattiness over the winner is done...let's get to the show recap...

* Smokey Robinson. Awesome singer, great stage presence, way too much plastic surgery. He had the shinest, tightest cheeks and forehead I have ever seen on a human being. The guy is 67. He should have at least 1 wrinkle. I don't think you could get cheeks that shiny by rolling in cooking grease. My gosh.

* Tony Bennett. The guy is about 147 years old. Ok, he's only 80, but that's close to 147. But his vocal cords are shot, and he doesn't really sing anymore. He just talks his lines, or yells them at the intense parts of the songs. Yet, just by simply walking onto the stage, people go nuts, and they cheer him on during key exciting moments just like he was still in his prime and sounds spectacular. People, please don't continue to encourage him...or any other too old singer...that tries to get up on stage and perform like it's 1954. Shouldn't we want to, and shouldn't he want us to, remember him as a great legend with a smooth, soothing voice? Rather than some old guy who has a death grip on the microphone that just yells the lines to a Tony Bennett classic?

* Bette Midler. Should. Be. Embarrassed. This keeps with my theory that old singers should not come back and perform when they are past their prime and their vocal cords have undergone some strange transformation. She absolutely ruined "The Wind Beneath My Wings" - AND IT'S HER SONG! She sounded horrible. It was amazing how bad she could sound. She was off-key, her timing sucked, I had to put my hands over my ears. It was bad. Supposedly she is replacing Celine Dion in Vegas. There's no way after last night. Worst. Comeback. Performance. Ever. Here's the proof:


* Golden Idol Awards. They weren't as funny this year. But nothing could top this moment from last year...which never gets old...and which still makes me cry no matter how many times I have seen it:



(Oh my gosh, I just watched it again. I'm crying. That is way too classic. It's still the funniest moment in television history.)

* All of the other winners. Minus Fantasia. And honestly - that was not a loss. But they were all there and they all performed. And they were all decent.

Other than that, a basic finale. Not as memorable or great as last year. Or let me take that back, last year was memorable for the great performances. I think this year was more memorable for the horrible performances from old people. But overall, an enjoyable 2 hours of television. Now, on to "Dance!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home