Sunday, June 11, 2006

al-Zarqawi's "Other Side"

News sources really need to read their headlines much more closely. I mean, I know there are only so many ways you can write some things. But before publishing something, they should read it over and think, “What else could this headline mean?” Or have someone else, unconnected to the writing of the story, read it - and then when they burst out laughing at the headline to a serious story, rethink the headline. But I suppose that’s how Jay Leno gets one of his best segments!

For those of you have been in a cave (once again, nothing wrong with it – you’re just unaware), the feared terrorist (is it possible to be anything other than a feared terrorist? I mean, is there a terrorist that makes you say “Wow, I’m not afraid of him…let’s invite him to a party?”) Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed a couple days ago by great big giant U.S. bombs.

So, today, I turn on my computer, and am flipping through the news stories on AOL, and one of them catches my eye. “Lingerie Found With al-Zarqawi.” What? Could this be? Did one of those trashy news sites find out something about the secret life of this feared terrorist? (There’s that phrase again.) So, in morbid curiosity, I clicked on the headline.

To my disappointment (I’m not sure what that says about The Steph…), I learned that the headline just meant that there were women in the safe house (not so safe, was it?) with al-Zarqawi. Here, I had thought that there was some exciting secret life this guy was living…but no. He is just a plain, ordinary, terrorist killing people. Thanks for misleading me, AOL. Back to the regularly scheduled, boring, news stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home