Friday, November 18, 2005

No bells! And other musings.

I just learned that the high school at which my dad teaches doesn't have bells to tell kids when classes end and start. The teachers and kids just watch the clock. That just ruins the American high school experience. Now the TV show "Saved by the Bell" has no meaning to these kids. What a tragedy.

Dateline is doing the world's longest story on the guy who killed John Lennon. There is a distinct possibility that this story is longer than John Lennon's life. Yeah. Two hours. 7-9 CT. Who the hell needs to watch a 2 hour story on Lennon's killer? I am not voluntarily watching a 2 hour special on Lennon's killer, I want you to know. I figured it would be a normal Dateline...main focus on whatever it is, and then some other little stories. Then I'm sitting here going "God, this story is taking FOREVER." Then I looked at the clock and realized it's almost 9. And that Dateline started at 7! It's the 25th anniversary of Lennon's death and they are commemorating it by doing a 2 hour special on his killer?! How about talking about freaking Lennon if you are going to commemorate anything? My dad just pointed out that if Chapman had killed Lennon 24 years ago I wouldn't have anything to complain about tonight. Interesting point.

I also just learned that my dad gives test problems that are too hard for his students to solve. And that he got one "perfect problem" wrong, too. I think that he is a sick, twisted schoolteacher. Then he graded on a curve. I didn't know what grading on the curve was until like my 3rd year of college. We just had straight up grades. Kids are spoiled these days. If you fail, you fail, I say. So strange.

Another note about schools - I'm still upset that the local public schools here don't have art and music classes. This isn't the first time I have ranted on it - remember, I think all kids should have a crappy ceremic, glazed thing on their shelf at home. I still have one of mine from high school, or elementary school - it's hard to tell, my art skills were really bad.

Every time I see purple, I think of the "Purple People Eaters" from my elementary school art class. See what these kids are missing out on these days??

You wanna know something funny? Who cares, I'm telling you anyway...Pepsi with Lime in a can tastes like regular Coke. I don't like regular Pepsi in a can, but Pepsi with Lime in a can is good. And a 12 pack of Pepsi with Lime is cheaper than a 12 pack of Coke. Isn't that stupid? It's also cheaper than regular Pepsi. Probably cause no one realizes that it tastes like regular Coke and they can save $1.49 by substituting it. That tip is worthy of "Hints from Heloise" publishing.

I'm done with the healthy versions of Campbells Soup. I used the low-sodium "Healthy Choice" version of Cream of Chicken Soup to make a casserole, trying to change my ways and care about healthy eating (hey, I just cut a percent of fat out of my milk by switching to 1%. It tastes the same). But the casserole sucked with the better-for-me version of ingredients. I would rather die at 70 and eat well than live to 75 and be grossed out every time I eat.

1 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u knew we didn't have bells! i went to school at oda u know!! we didn't have bells then either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home