Monday, October 10, 2005

I Heart October

Last night I remembered how much I love the month of October. Not for the weather or fall folliage or anything poetic like that. I hate the cold and I wish that the trees stayed green all year up here and flowers could bloom in December (outside), but I'm in Minnesota - so that's just a dream.

Yesterday was the ultimate in playoff baseball. An 18 inning marathon to take the Astros to the NLCS, and an extremely exciting Game 4 of the ALDS that the Yankees won to bring the series back to California for the deciding game. Is there anything more fun than the entire month of October for baseball? 4 divisional series, followed by 2 league championship series, followed by the most exciting 7 games in sports.

But that's just the start of what makes October great for me. The NHL starts back up - and I love hockey. Especially since we missed all of the 2004-2005 season. I'm glad it's back.

Sidenote: I also happen to be living in the State of Hockey, whatever that means. How can you claim that? Do they mean state as in "a member of this country" or do they mean it as in "a condition of mind or temperment?" And I thought Texas was a self-centered state!!

And if there wasn't enough entertainment during the week, Saturday in October brings some great conference match-ups in college football, and Sunday (and Monday night) brings the NFL to bars and living rooms across the country. (Maybe I'm just happy because my fantasy team is kicking butt right now.)

Then, for those of you that like this kind of thing - and I do - NASCAR comes down to the wire with the Race for the Cup or whatever it's called. It's fun, fast-paced and has some great personalities.

But October is not just great for the sports that I can watch on TV, it's great for the league that is lacking from play this month. The NBA! Does anyone really still genuinely follow professional basketball? There is nothing that I can't stand more in professional sports than the NBA. It drives me nuts. I love college basketball and think that March Madness is great. But I'm happy my favorite sports aren't competing for airtime with the NBA right now.

So the tenth month of the year is here and I'm happily parked in front of my TV, pulling for the Yankees to win this Game 5 and take on the White Sox tomorrow night in the ALDS.

Gosh, I hope I didn't put the link to this blog on my resume that I dropped off at the Target Center last week.

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Orbitron19 said...

You actually were in danger of putting it on you resume? The best thing about switching jobs is NO ONE here knows about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home