Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Growing on me like mold in blue cheese...

I don't know why it is that I have decided that I like living in Minnesota so much. But I find myself getting more and more attached to this place - for no real definite reason. I stayed here last fall after the job for which I moved here ended. And a lot of people (including my family) thought I was nuts...because there wasn't a real reason for me to stay. But I did. I still, to this day, can't tell you exactly why I was so dead set on staying here, I just didn't want to leave. And I don't regret it. Yes, I miss my family (but gosh, we talk more on the phone now than in person I think...hahaha), but I really can't think of another negative to the situation. And I realized this even more tonight during an IM conversation with The Dad.


The Steph: How is it going in NC? (The 'Rents are in NC visiting family on my dad's side)

The Dad: It's ok. About as good as it can get in NC.

The Steph: Yeah.

The Dad: I guess you have to leave Florida once in awhile to see how good it really is.

The Steph: Haha yeah.

The Dad: I don't know what I would do if I had to leave.

The Steph: Haha.

The Steph: You can survive it - I promise.

The Dad: I think I could live in the San Antonio area.

The Steph: I have to admit, Minnesota (despite the horrid cold and snow) is kinda starting to grow on me. Yes, I eventually want to get back south, but I'm tough and young enough to make it here for now!

The Steph: San Antonio would be heavenly. (Sidenote: I lived in Corpus Christi, Texas for a while - and my family has a habit of coming to visit me for months at a time...so we hung out in San Antonio some while they were visiting.)

The Dad: I honestly don't think I could live in Minnesota - not at my age. I definitely could not own a house.

The Steph: Oh, there's no way I would want to own a house here.

The Steph: Not and deal with frozen pipes, plowing, shoveling, etc, etc, etc.

The Dad: And 4 wheel drive cars rusting out in 5 years. (Sidenote: I have a 4 wheel drive car in that it kinda has 4 wheels and the back 2 are weighted down with 300 lbs. of sand.)

The Steph: Yeah true.

The Steph: The last 3 or 4 days here, actually, the last 2 weeks...have been pretty nice though!

The Steph: I forgot how much I miss wearing sandles and skirts and shorts!

The Dad: Honestly, NY was ok until I was about 50. I actually enjoyed the place when I was young and played in the snow.

The Steph: Yeah. I don't play in the snow, just get stuck in it - but it doesn't bother me as much in winter #3 as it did in winter #1. I really like just about everything else about the Twin Cities though.

The Dad: Yeah. I really have a good time visiting you. Ideal situation would be to live in your apartment from May 1 to say Oct 1 then live in our house the rest of the year.

The Dad: You have much better restaurants and beer places than we have.

The Steph: That is SOOO true.

The Steph: That's prob why I don't leave - if I didn't have Summit to drink I would have withdrawals.

The Steph: During the few times I have left the state I have suffered through Miller Lite and Amberbock...both of which are ok...but aren't Summit Pale Ale or their seasonals.

The Dad: The Growlers are better though. (Sidenote: Visit the Town Hall Brewery, located in the 7 corners area of Minneapolis - it absolutely rocks. As in it's good - not that there's wonderful live music. And their beer is awesome.)

The Steph: Oh gosh yeah.

Oh, now I know why I live here. The beer. Now everyone that thinks I'm crazy for living here knows the truth. Riddle: Solved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home